Peggy is a support dog who will be coming in to work with the pupils at both Lower and Upper sites from September 2023.
Ongoing research has found that support animals can have a positive impact on many areas of a pupils life such as -
- Supports socio-emotional skills
- Contributes to cognitive development which in turn improves reading skills, stimulates memory and problem solving skills along with enhancing executive functioning skills
- The presence of a dog in a classroom can boost pupils positive mood due to the anti-stress effects on the body
- Increases school attendance
- Positive changes lead to better learning and enhanced motivation
- Growth in confidence levels
- Development of better and stronger relationships with teachers and peers due to the experience of trust and love with therapy dogs.
- Reducing learner anxiety behaviors causes improvement in learning outcomes like improved reading and writing skills and levels